Since 2015, I am Lecturer in Contemporary Film and Media in the disicipline of Film and Sceen Media at University College Cork. I have held various positions at UCC, lecturing on the BA and MA and coordinating evening courses in the disicipline, as well as guest lecturering on the MA in Women's Studies. I was awarded my PhD in Film Studies at UCC in 2014, with a thesis entitled "Locating the Transnational: Representations and Aesthetics of the City in Contemporary European Cinemas", under the supervision of Prof Laura Rascaroli. Prior to commencing my PhD, I took a BA in Language and Cultural Studies at University College Cork and Université Michel de Montaigne Bordeaux III, and MA in Film Studies also at UCC, with a thesis on motherhood and spatial embodiment in the cinema of Pedro Almodóvar. Aside from my enduring interest in European cinemas, my current research projects centre on women and contemporary screen media, and screen media interactivity in the realms of documentary, amateur video and pop culture. I am also cofounding editor and web designer of Alphaville: Journal of Film and Screen Media. Other work and passions include video editing, experimental video, videography, web design, photography, and writing for/about independent and alternative music.
Main research and publishing interests include:
• Contemporary cinema, particularly European cinemas and nonfiction
• Space, place and identity in cinema
• Digital screen media
• Women and screen media
• Screen media and interactivity
• Pop culture
• National and transnational cinemas
• Feminist film and media theory
• Visual anthropology and cultural studies
Editorship of Journal Issues
Abigail Keating and Jill Murphy (eds), "Women and Screen Media in the Twenty-First Century", Alphaville: Journal of Film and Screen Media, Issue 10 (forthcoming, Winter 2015/2016). ISSN: 2009-4078.
Abigail Keating, Deborah Mellamphy and Jill Murphy (eds), “Cinema in the Interstices”, Alphaville: Journal of Film and Screen Media, Issue 5 (Summer 2013). ISSN: 2009-4078.
Contributions to Journals and Edited Collections
Review of Marvin D'Lugo and Kathleen M. Vernon (eds), A Companion to Pedro Almodóvar (2013), in Alphaville: Journal of Film and Screen Media (forthcoming, 2015).
Review of Helen Thornham and Elke Weissmann (eds), Renewing Feminisms: Radical Narratives, Fantasies and Futures in Media Studies (2013), in Alphaville: Journal of Film and Screen Media (forthcoming, 2015).
“Home Movies in the Age of Web 2.0: The Case of 'Star Wars Kid'”, in Laura Rascaroli, Gwenda Young and Barry Monahan (eds), Amateur Filmmaking: The Home Movie, the Archive, the Web. London, New York: Bloomsbury Publishing (2014).
"Video-making, Harlem Shaking: Theorizing the Interactive Amateur", in New Cinemas: Journal of Contemporary Film, 11:2&3 (2013). ISSN: 14742756. 99-110.
“All Roads Lead to Piazza Vittorio: Transnational Spaces in Agostino Ferrente’s Documusical”, in Studies in Documentary Film, 5:2&3 (2011). ISSN: 17503280. 197-209.
“Locating the City: Dublin and the Consumerist Journey in Recent Irish Cinema”, in Juan F. Elices and Marisol Morales (eds), Glocal Ireland: Current Perspectives on Literature and the Visual Arts. Newcastle: Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2011. 214-228.
“Romance: Love Story”, in Lincoln Geraghty (ed), Directory of World Cinema: American Hollywood. Bristol: Intellect, 2011. 235-238.
“Drama: Philadelphia”, in Lincoln Geraghty (ed), Directory of World Cinema: American Hollywood. Bristol: Intellect, 2011. 219-221.
“Animation: The Simpsons Movie”, in Lincoln Geraghty (ed), Directory of World Cinema: American Hollywood. Bristol: Intellect, 2011. 251-253.
Review of Katherine Thomson-Jones, Aesthetics and Film (2008), in Film-Philosophy, 14:1 (2010), pp. 468-474. ISSN: 1466-4615.
Work in Preparation
“Art versus Science: Aestheticising the Interstice in Pedro Almodóvar’s The Skin I Live in”.
“Digital Deceptions: Ondi Timoner’s We Live in Public as 'Dotcomumentary'”.
Event Organisation and Assistance
Co-organiser of Deviate! The Second International Alphaville Conference, University College Cork, 4-6 September 2014.
Co-organiser of Cinema in the Interstices, Alphaville Inaugural Conference, University College Cork, 7-9 September 2012.
Co-organiser of the 8th Irish Postgraduate Film Research Seminar 2011: Space and Time in Film, University College Cork, 29-30 March 2011.
Conference assistant at Saving Private Reels: An International Conference on the Presentation, Appropriation and Re-contextualisation of the Amateur Moving Image, University College Cork, 17-19 September 2010.
Co-organiser of Transnational, Transcultural, Transmedial: European Cinema Today, An International Graduate Film Studies Conference, University College Cork, 14-15 May 2010.
Conference, Seminar and Workshop Presentations
"What’s in an Eponym? Embodied (non)Identity in 'Celtic Tiger' Irish Cinema". Cosmopolitan Screens, Screen Studies Conference, University of Glasgow, Scotland, 28-30 June 2013.
"All About Adam and Paul: (Fore)Naming the Tiger in Recent Irish Cinema". Ireland and Cinema: Culture and Contexts, University College Cork, 18-20 April 2013.
Invited Lecture on Pedro Almodóvar and Alfred Hitchcock. Hitchcock: Shadow of a Genius, Irish Film Institute, Dublin, 12 March 2013.
More info here.
"Art vs Science: Transmedial Aesthetics in the Cinema of Pedro Almodóvar". Invited Seminar. Queen's University Belfast, 19 February 2013.
“Performing Identity in Pedro Almodóvar’s The Skin I Live in (2011)". Changing Times: Performances and Identities On Screen, Universidade de Lisboa, Portugal, 7-9 November 2012.
“Aestheticising the Interstice in Pedro Almodóvar’s The Skin I Live in (2011)”. Cinema in the Interstices, Alphaville Inaugural Conference, University College Cork, 7-9 September 2012.
“The Interactive Home Movie: Individual and Collective Memory in the Age of Web 2.0”. Time Networks: Screen Media and Memory, NECS 2012, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Portugal, 21-23 June 2012.
“Digital Deceptions: Aesthetics of the Dotcomumentary”. Invited Presentation. Digital Humanities Workshop, University College Cork, 25 May 2012.
“Documentary in Transit: On the Movement and Aesthetics of a Cinematic Cyberspace”. Genres in Transit: Re-thinking Genre in Contemporary Cinemas, Trinity College Dublin, 20-21 April 2012.
“Conceptualising the Dotcomumentary: Timoner’s We Live in Public (2009)”. College of Arts, Celtic Studies and Social Sciences Postgraduate Conference, University College Cork, 14 November 2011.
“Corporeality and Identity Movement in Contemporary Cinematic Dublin”. Invited Seminar. Department of Italian Research Seminar, University College Cork, 27 October 2011.
“On the (Non-)Fluency of a Transnational Generation: Performing Identity in Contemporary Irish-language Media”. Sonic Futures: Soundscapes and the Languages of Screen Media, NECS 2011, Birkbeck College and King’s College, University of London, England, 23-26 June 2011.
“A/politicising the Eternal City: Representation, Immigration and a Docu- Agenda”. 8th Irish Postgraduate Film Research Seminar: Space and Time in Film, University College Cork, 29-30 March 2011.
“Setting up an Online Academic Journal”. Invited Presentation. Early Career Researchers’ Journal Committee, School of Languages, Literatures and Cultures, University College Cork, 8 February 2011.
“Ferrente’s Fleeting Other: L’orchestra di Piazza Vittorio (2006)”. College of Arts, Celtic Studies and Social Sciences Postgraduate Conference, University College Cork, 20 November 2010.
“Private Places, Global Spaces: Subverting the Amateur Aesthetic of Recent YouTube Phenomena”. Saving Private Reels: An International Conference on the Presentation, Appropriation and Re-contextualisation of the Amateur Moving Image, University College Cork, 17-19 September 2010.
“Transnational European Cinema: An Irish Context”. The Europeanness of European Cinema, King’s College London, England, 4 June 2010.
“On the Transnationality of Filmic Space: A Reconsideration of Almodóvar’s Global Cities”. Transnational, Transcultural, Transmedial: European Cinema Today, An International Graduate Film Studies Conference, University College Cork, 14-15 May 2010.
“Where the Hell is ... YouTube?”. 7th Irish Postgraduate Film Research Seminar, Trinity College Dublin, 22-23 April 2010.
“Transnational European Cinema: Aesthetics and the Urban Space”. College of Arts, Celtic Studies and Social Sciences Postgraduate Conference, University College Cork, 14 November 2009.
“To the Centre and Back: Dublin and the Consumerist Journey in Recent Irish Cinema”. Metropolitan Desires: Cultural Reconfigurations of the European City Space, Manchester Metropolitan University, England, 8-9 September 2009.
“Contrasting Spaces? Representations of Motherhood and the (Urban) Village in Pedro Almodóvar’s Volver”. Locating Media, NECS 2009, University of Lund, Sweden, 25-28 June 2009.
“Peripheral Cubs: Cinematic Representations and Aesthetics of the Other in Celtic Tiger Ireland”. From Local Ireland to Global Ireland: The Reality Beyond, VIII International Conference of the Spanish Association for Irish Studies, Universidad de Alcalá, Spain, 28-30 May 2009.
“Women on the Verge: Mothers and Margins in the Cinema of Pedro Almodóvar”. De-Marginalising the Marginal, Humanities Institute of Ireland, University College Dublin, 1 April 2009.
Position: Lecturer in Contemporary Film and Media
Modules coordinated (2015-2016):
- FX2002 Studies in Cinema: Genre, BA in Film and Screen Media
- FX3001 Contemporary Cinema, BA in Film and Screen Media
- FX3004 Screen Industries: Texts and Contexts, BA in Film and Screen Media
Modules co-taught (2015-2016):
- LL2001 Modernism in European Film (with Prof Laura Rascaroli), School of Languages, Literatures and Cultures
- FX2036 American Cinema to 1960 (with Dr Gwenda Young), BA in Film and Screen Media and School of English
- FX3007 Seminar on Film Studies (led by Prof David Puttnam), University-wide Module
Past modules (2014-2015):
- FX1001 Introduction to Film Studies (with Dr Barry Monahan), BA in Film and Screen Media
- FX1002 Introduction to Screen Media and Culture, BA in Film and Screen Media
- FX 2002 Studies in Cinema: Auteurs and Genre (with Dr Niall Heffernan), BA in Film and Screen Media
- FX2007 Special Studies in Screen Media, BA in Film and Screen Media
- FX6003 Research Methodologies Seminar (team taught), MA in Film Studies
- FX6012 Seminar on Film Studies - Tutorials (seminar taught by Prof David Puttnam), MA in Film Studies and MA in Digital Arts and Humanities
- WS6002 Feminist Theory (team taught) , MA in Women's Studies
- I have also worked as an Evening Lecturer for Film and Screen Media at UCC, where I have taught the following courses, among others: Space and Time in Film; Masters of the Cinema; Genre in the 21st Century; Contemporary World Cinema; Contemporary European Cinema; Women Directors; The Dark Side of Cinema.
Video, Writing, Web and Graphics
- I have many years' experience in digital videography and digital editing, as well as DSLR photography. I have worked freelance as a video editor and videographer; most of my employment in this area has come from live music, factual, event and promotional projects, and for such national and local organisations as the HSE (Health Service Executive, Ireland), Cork Local Drugs Task Force, and University College Cork, as well as Irish Research Council events. I also worked on the nationally funded Capturing the Nation: Irish Home Movies, 1930-1970, a collaboration between UCC and the Irish Film Institute, Dublin.
- Prior to undertaking a PhD, I worked as a commercial web writer, and I have been involved in graphic design on the web and in print for several years (poster, CD, DVD, journal and promotional designs). Also, I have worked as a promotional and press kit writer for independent and alternative music, and have had reviews and photographs published in a range of music and culture magazines.
- I am the web designer and content editor for Alphaville: Journal of Film and Screen Media, along with a number of other academic websites.
- Practical interests include: video editing, DSLR cinematography, grading, experimental video, digital photography, digital graphics, and web design.
- Tools of choice are: Canon DSLR, Adobe Master Collection, Final Cut, and everything with an Apple logo on it.
Editorial and Advisory Positions
- Cofounder and Member of the Editorial Board of Alphaville: Journal of Film and Screen Media. ISSN: 2009-4078.
- English-language proofreader for Cinéma & Cie: International Film Studies Journal. ISSN: 2036-461X.
- NECS (European Network for Cinema and Media Studies)
- MeCCSA (Media, Communication and Cultural Studies Association)
- Cork Film Centre
- College of Arts, Celtic Studies and Social Sciences (UCC) Strategic Research Fund, 2012